This Review shows 10 Mandoline Slicers that we consider the best value for money in year 2019. Products are divided into the following 2 categories, each including 5 most-popular slicers:
- Standard Products
- Professional Products
Best 5 Standard Mandoline Food Slicers
Best 5 Professional Mandoline Food Slicers
*Note: Values in fields “User Rating” and “No of Reviews” may change with time. These charts show information valid as of the publication date of this Review.
What To Look for When Buying Mandoline Food Slicer
Before deciding to buy a particular product you should look at few product features first.
You should consider the following 2 areas:
- General product features
- Special characteristics specific to your needs
1. General product features
- Food Holder. You should be able to hold fold easily and the holders are supposed to be non-slippery. Some more advanced food holders come with extra guard for your hand. This should ensure your safety and avoid injury while slicing.
- Dishwasher-Safe. Most Vegetable Slicers today come as dishwasher safe. However there is difference between plastic ones and the stainless steel ones. The latter are still dishwasher-safe, but they can form stains which need to be polished later.
- Ease-of-Cleaning. Look for sharp, hard-accessible edges. These places may be hard to reach when using hand cleaning. Also dishwashers may not clean it completely.
- Blades Material. Most mandolin slices come with stainless steel blades. Few come with ceramic blades which last sharp for longer.
- Safety Position. Good quality holders include one position designed for storage. In this position the blades are usually covered or placed at the same level as sliding plane to avoid accidental finger cuts.
2. Special characteristics specific to your needs
- Slicer Holder. Sliders that come with hand holder rather than stands are more suitable for short jobs. Such include for example slicing vegetables directly into the cooking pot
- Stands. Sliders with holders are more suitable for large quantity slicing that takes more time You can simply place them on top of the bowl or pot and slice comfortably large quantity of vegetables.
- Blades. This is probably the most important thing. Depending on what kind of slicing you plan, choose the blades accordingly. Some slicers come with only one build-in blade that allows for simple cutting. You can’t produce vegetable cubes or French fries with those.
- Adjustable Thicknesses. Cheaper standard slicers usually have 2-side blades which alow for just 2 different types of thickness. Professional slicers come with fully adjustable knots that can produce any desired thickness from paper thin up to half-inch thick cuts.
You can look for few other things that may speak about product quality.
One of those things is a place where the product was produced. Basically, products made in the USA or Europe (countries like Germany, France or Switzerland) are of higher quality than those made in China.
However, take this rule only as a general guide. Many products manufactured in China these days are of high quality.
The last thing we would recommend considering are the safety gloves. Despite all efforts to perform food slicing safely, accidents may happen. With your safety gloves this should minimize the risk of injury.
Have you found us useful? Like, share or tweet about it!